As we approach December, I can still remember the audit I carried out on myself last year. 2015 has definitely been the year of new adventures and projects. I have fallen in love with every project and performance I have been involved in. I have seen so many possibilities within my art form because each project has had a strong collaborative element requiring me to tap into various skill sets.
My role with Crystal Law Solicitors has gone from strength to strength and I am grateful to be part of a team that also supports my artistic pursuits. I love the responsibility I am being given as it shows the firm have faith in me.
It was really heartfelt that my colleagues came to the Antara students showcase in early November and they had a great time. My supervisors brother, even did the photography for the show. 🙂
I am in such a special place at the moment, I simply enjoy and love talking to people about the various projects I am involved in. It was only a few years ago when I was in limbo and was not sure of my purpose and how I can serve the Global Community at large. It is a lot clearer now. I know my strengths and areas for development. To be honest, if I am not sure about something (which is most of the time), I simply ask!
It takes time to build friendships and networks. We must keep investing in them. It cannot be a take-take situation. I admit that I have not been to as many networking events like I did last year or the year before. I do not see this as a bad thing. As I am regularly in the cultural quarter, I am always seeing friendly and familiar faces who I can have an impromptu herbal tea with.
Social media is a wonderful platform as well to cement our friendships. However, I find it very interesting when individuals are very friendly and supportive on facebook, but when you meet them in person, they are completely different! Creating a lasting positive impression in this sector is very important. A lot of the projects I have been involved in, has been built on this premise.
This is why I genuinely love connecting with creatives and passing on advice to them when they approach me. Growth is constant. It only stops if we become lazy or don’t take chances. I have learned this the hard way. All I can say is:
- Know your purpose and goal. This is your guiding light and will ensure that you stay on track.
- Have a plan but do not be fixed by it. Situations change so be prepared. Sometimes you have to go back a step to achieve a goal, but that is okay. There are other times where you are fast tracked!
- Invest in friendships and never forget the individuals who have assisted you along the way.
- Get yourself out there. Have a circle of influence who you can draw upon. I have mentors in many areas of my life. Without them, I lose focus.
- Fall in love with every project that comes to you. It may not be the best, but remember you have been selected for it so be grateful.
Back in August, I mentioned the projects I was involved in. Just a quick recap with a few extra:
- Music Pathways- mentoring young musicians and preparing them for the sector. Arts Council and Youth Music initiative. http://www.phizzical.com/music-pathways-have-you-got-what-it-takes-to-become-a-leader/
- Methods of Misunderstanding- Collaboration with visual artists Ashok Mistry. Looking at tabla notation as data and the way it is interpreted. Supported by Arts Council http://methodsfor.info
- Antara- My YoTabla students and ADAA students showcase. First live music and dance showcase with young people.https://uk.patronbase.com/_EmbraceArts/Productions/W523/Performances
- Freshly Brewed- sharing Assamese music and culture with support from the Arts Council. Composing the music with my sister Dr Samyami S Chowdhuryhttps://uk.patronbase.com/_EmbraceArts/Productions/W537/Performances
- Ram Lila- Phizzical Productions An outdoor performance marking the arrival of Ram, Sita and Lakshman as part of Leicester City Council’s Diwali day celebrations.
There have been other memorable performances I have played in as well.These projects have taught me the following.
- Decision making
- Communicating at different levels
I will go into these in more detail in my next post. There are still a couple more projects that will be coming to an end soon. I will be sad when they finish but I will be happy as I would have grown from the process.